2012/07/22

A Taxi Driver Despaired

It was in Iwaki city in Fukushima Pref.. I took a taxi at the Izumi station. Because I had a reservation for a small business hotel near Onahama port where has been damaged by earthquake and tsunami last year.

A cheerful taxi driver chatted.

"You will be surprised, Onahama port was repaired. Have you ever been to Aquamarine before? It is a very nice aquarium, we're very proud of it. Before earthquake and tsunami, people came to visit many times from all over Japan. I think a director of the aquarium is a really smart person. Oh, it's about 10 minutes walk to the aquarium from your hotel..."

This taxi driver also gave me a information about "Iwaki La La Mew" where people can enjoy shopping and dining. He said only 5 minutes walk from the aquarium.

a small single hotel room, 5,680yen/night.
book a room via internet.

a small and compact bath room.

breakfast includes.
simple buffet, rice, bread, pork miso soup, vegetables, soup, egg...
orange juice and coffee.

I had lunch at La La Mew.

uni-ikura don (a sea urchin and salmon roe bowl),
crab miso soup. 2,500yen.
yummy!
A cheerful madame served with smile.

"Hello! Come in, this counter table is ok for you? Where are you from? Thanks to come to visit Onahama...".

And also I was enjoy shopping! I bought an alfonsino at small fish market in La La Mew. There was a cheerful madame too in the market.

"This fish is really yummy! Very nice price too, only 2,800yen. This fish is usually sold with about 6,000yen in Tokyo. How many person in your family, miss? We can cut a fish. Transport to Tokyo? Oh, no problem. We run a fish shop, we know how to send fish to other area. Tomorrow you can eat this fish at home. Well, do you like clam? "

But the last person, this taxi driver was not cheerful, actually he was a little bit despaired.

"You know, today many people visit Onahama, but still they are only from Tohoku area. People from Tokyo never come to visit here, they think Iwaki city is too close to the nuclear power plant. People don't want to eat Fukushima fish, because they are worried about radiation. But fish constantly move, so how can we recognize which fish is from Fukushima? "

"Decontamination takes a lot of money, I'm afraid the government will not be able to afford it. Recently I tend to think, I live here or I will move to another place is same thing. People worry about radiation, but another different disaster can be happen in another place. I don't want to move and honestly I don't feel I need to move."

"I think everything is depend on each other's thinking. There is no clearly answer. Well, I always try to think simply, do not need to do in complicated way... but still, I'm really disappointed. If people never want to come, how can I make living? I'm a taxi driver...."

Before arrived at Izumi station, this taxi driver apologized politely, because he thought he made me uncomfortable.

People I met in Fukushima have warm hearted hospitality and I can say they are honest.
I have not clearly answer too.
But still, this is a good experience to visit Fukushima, to think about them, think about us, and think about our future.


at onahama port, iwaki city, fukushima.
"Anti-nuclear Friday movement spreads beyond capital"(The Asahi Shimbun)






1 件のコメント:

  1. Hello Sis.
    I'm not Japanese and can I ask you about Iwaki La La Mew?
    For your reference, I am working in Japanese Company in my country and I need information about Iwaki to make my Novel quite perfect. Yeah, I have been making a novel about Iwaki La La Mew.
    If you are willing to help me please send me email to subakti.agung@ymail.com
    I really need your help ASAP.
    Thx U.

    返信削除